The past two years have been incredibly difficult for the Irish tourism industry and the many thousands of people who work in and depend on that sector. But the good news is that we are well into the recovery of this vital indigenous economic sector, and we are all looking forward to enjoying the great variety of holiday experiences that are on offer throughout North Mayo and indeed rest of the country.
As we get back out there and enjoy the myriad of opportunities to explore and enjoy the outdoors Leave No Trace is asking that we do it responsibly and with respect for others, our surroundings, and the natural environment.
Whether it is exploring a new town or village, kayaking one one of our exciting waterways, climbing to new heights in the Ox Mountains or Nephin, or exploring the Wild Atlantic Way coastline, the Love This Place national awareness campaign is asking everyone to appreciate and take care of our wonderful open recreational spaces.
This year, the Love This Place campaign focuses on asking the public to help in addressing some of the biggest pressure points and impacts that tourism and recreation have on the natural environment and the outdoors. These include:
- Littering – an issue in both urban and countryside settings.
- Protecting the many different habitats that make up our wonderful natural environment.
- Preventing the destruction caused by wildfires.
- Being responsible for proper management of our dogs when outdoors.
- Avoiding noise pollution and its impacts.
No matter how big or small our outdoors adventures are, the campaign is asking us all to take responsibility and Leave No Trace. To show how we can all play our part, see some top tips:
- Decide to leave everywhere we visit better than when we found it.
- Take the time to learn about our local habitats and the part we can play in protecting them so that they can thrive.
- Light fires or barbecues only in permitted, designated areas.
- Clean up after our dogs, making sure to bring away and dispose of the waste properly, while respecting signage and keeping our dogs under control around farming livestock and wildlife.
- Remember to bring a bag with you to take home your rubbish. Even organic waste like fruit peels should be brought home.
When we go outside and fall in love with the amazing places we find, we will all want to Love This Place and take care of it for the future. The Love This Place Campaign is a nationwide campaign which is being run by Leave No Trace Ireland in conjunction with nine partner organisations and 80 supporting organisations from the sports, tourism and
outdoor activities sectors, sharing the message of responsible outdoor recreation.